Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Some days....

One of my good friends said something the other day that has stuck with me.... She said 'You know, I thought I worked hard in my job. But being a mother is so much harder'

True dat.

You know how when you are in high school you look back on primary school and wish you could have it that easy again? Then when you enter the workforce - you look back on high school in the same way?

Yeh... having kids is the next step of that pattern. People tell you it's the hardest job you will ever have to do, they say the hours are long, the pay is rotten, but the rewards outstrip the downfall....

But you really don't know how true all of that is until you do it yourself.... well all except the rewards part... I'm still weighing up the pro's and con's (it's been a particularly trying day). If someone put the 'motherhood' contract in front of you and asked you to sign - outlining the role and remunerations, you would have to be on crack to sign on the dotted line. But yes, of course there are great rewards - seeing your child walk for the first time, say mum or even dad (:P) for the first time, the first hug, the first kiss, watching them learn and grow. All completely awesome - no question.

But if we REALLY knew what we were in for, would we still do it? Without experiencing the good parts of parenthood, I think we would all tuck tail and run. Thank goodness science hasn't managed to completely control human reproduction!

Do I regret having kids? No. I really don't. It's the great thing about nature - makes it impossible to regret your kids :P
Oh by the way - I'm not excluding Fathers and the important role they play - but I'm not one - so trying to include them in this discussion would be futile.

Anyway - I take comfort in the fact that life always comes a full circle - and they will have to feed me and wipe my bum when I'm too old to do it myself, and with science advancements - I reckon I could make it to at least 120 .

Suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment