AAAARRRGGGHHH! It's here! It's time!
Once a year, for about a month and a half, I regress to my childhood. IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!!! Yep - i am one of those annoying people who fricken LOVE christmas, and go all out to celebrate it.
Probably because my mother really, really didn't.
As kids we never had a christmas tree. Mum hates plastic trees, so instead we would have to find a pot plant to decorate with the 20 year old bits of tinsel tucked far away in the back of the cupboard.
Now before I go any further, I feel the need to make sure you understand - no my mother is not the grinch. No she is not mean, no she is not heartless. But she IS strictly athiest, and celebrating religious holidays just goes against everything she believes in.
Anywhoo as I was saying - no tree, crappy old tinsel.
We would get a couple of presents under the tree, but the majority of our presents were made up of our school supplies for the next year. I thought that was perfectly normal until (as an adult) it would come up in conversation and people would look at me with complete horror.
In our stockings we would get oranges, apples... and apricot pieces. If you don't know what apricot pieces are - you will find them in the nut or health food sections of the supermarket. They are apricot squares with coconut around the edges. In short, these were our lollies when we were kids.
So it's entirely possible that these experiences lead me to be a little .....how you say.... OTT about the festive season.
So come mid November, I start to get that excited, butterflies in the pit of my stomach feeling, knowing that within a couple of weeks, I will be able to bust out the 6ft VERY fake Christmas tree and get my cheer on!
Now I, like my mother am not religious, and I try not to become the biggest hyprocrite in the world during this time. Instead, I choose to see Christmas as not only a religious holiday, but as the one time of the year that insists all members of the family come together in celebration of one another. That, to me, is the most important thing.
So here we are!!! The time has come!
Christmas tree goes up this weekend bitches!! :P
Once a year, for about a month and a half, I regress to my childhood. IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!!! Yep - i am one of those annoying people who fricken LOVE christmas, and go all out to celebrate it.
Probably because my mother really, really didn't.
As kids we never had a christmas tree. Mum hates plastic trees, so instead we would have to find a pot plant to decorate with the 20 year old bits of tinsel tucked far away in the back of the cupboard.
Now before I go any further, I feel the need to make sure you understand - no my mother is not the grinch. No she is not mean, no she is not heartless. But she IS strictly athiest, and celebrating religious holidays just goes against everything she believes in.
Anywhoo as I was saying - no tree, crappy old tinsel.
We would get a couple of presents under the tree, but the majority of our presents were made up of our school supplies for the next year. I thought that was perfectly normal until (as an adult) it would come up in conversation and people would look at me with complete horror.
In our stockings we would get oranges, apples... and apricot pieces. If you don't know what apricot pieces are - you will find them in the nut or health food sections of the supermarket. They are apricot squares with coconut around the edges. In short, these were our lollies when we were kids.
So it's entirely possible that these experiences lead me to be a little .....how you say.... OTT about the festive season.
So come mid November, I start to get that excited, butterflies in the pit of my stomach feeling, knowing that within a couple of weeks, I will be able to bust out the 6ft VERY fake Christmas tree and get my cheer on!
Now I, like my mother am not religious, and I try not to become the biggest hyprocrite in the world during this time. Instead, I choose to see Christmas as not only a religious holiday, but as the one time of the year that insists all members of the family come together in celebration of one another. That, to me, is the most important thing.
So here we are!!! The time has come!
Christmas tree goes up this weekend bitches!! :P
No comments:
Post a Comment